Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Before I begin what I can only assume will be yet another blog about anti-semitism, I'd like to commend Cristen for the term "overwrought apostrophe." This prologue could have been titled Overwrought Apostrophe. 

I've read and reread the prioress tale looking for some shading of complexity that would lead me to believe that this was anything other than anti-semitism and I don't see it.  The Rubin retelling of the story merely shows Chaucer's reinterpretation of the voices, but it fails to show that the tale is not itself anti-semitic.  I would even point to the angelic description of the prioress in the prologue as a sign that the words she speaks in her tale are meant to be taken at face value. 
I could go on recapitulating, but I don't want to be redundant, this is anti-semitic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment